charliejuggler (charliejuggler) wrote,
charliejuggler
charliejuggler

Building an art studio #6 - roofing

It seems every time I have something large and heavy delivered it rains all day, and this was certainly the case when the insulation and boards arrived: all had to be shifted by hand down the narrow path and kept dry, which took a day or two. Here's it all stacked up in the cabin:

IMG_9543

I'm modifying the structure of the roof supplied with the building slightly so as to add long skylights above each wall: this entailed leaving off some tongue-and-groove sections and cutting others down. Most of the roof will be covered first with 50mm foil-faced insulation boards and then 9mm plywood: to make this easier to fit and to keep the edges tidy I fitted some roof edge boards supplied with the cabin upside down (they're meant to hang down from the edge of the roof):

IMG_9542

Then the insulation sheets can be cut to fit (with a sharp knife) and the boards cut to fit on top (with a marvellous new purchase of a rechargeable circular saw). You can see here the purlins, tongue-and-groove roof boards, insulation and plywood, not to mention the black plastic sheets used to cover the roof EVERY HOUR or so during the rainstorms that plagued the day I chose to put the roof on. Very tedious taking them off, doing some roofing, putting them on, sitting and waiting for the rain to stop, rinse and repeat...

IMG_9538:

The next delivery was a 4m x 2m piece of polycarbonate roofing sheet, which was also a fun thing to carry down the path:

IMG_9544

The skylights needed additional support and had to be raised to a similar level to the eventual roof surface, so I fitted extra rafters both to the ends and in the middle, plus some additional framing round the edges:

IMG_9539

Polycarbonate roofing comes as part of a 'system', for which you need all kinds of sealing gaskets, metal strips, plastic fittings etc. - and it's taken a while for me to figure out how it all works (with a few mistakes along the way). However one skylight is now temporarily fitted. Next will be to fit the other, finish the insulation and boarding and cover it all with a rubber sheet - I've chosen this as a slightly more pricy alternative to tar paper, as it will last a lot longer and hopefully will be quicker to fit.

IMAG1817
Subscribe

  • New blog site

    Since Livejournal has crashed and lost my last two attempts at blogging, I'm moving to Wordpress - come and find me here.

  • Building an art studio #9 - moving in!

    Well, we didn't quite make it in by Christmas, but over the last couple of months I finished the interior boards, Alex primed and painted the walls…

  • Cheapskate thrills

    I'm proud to be a cheapskate. Inspired by my dad (who once had to go outside Hamleys, the famous London toyshop, for fresh air after feeling faint at…

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments